in the early morning of this monday december 26 a strong tremor was registered on the Caribbean Coast. This was reported by the bodies in charge of monitoring this type of natural events in the national territory.
According to the latest report from the Colombian Geological Service, which was issued in the early hours of this Monday, the seismic event had as its epicenter the municipality of Ciénaga, in Magdalena.
Likewise, it was established that the magnitude of the tremor was 4.3 with a depth less than 30 kilometers.
“#SismosColombiaSGC Seismic Event – Bulletin Updated 1, 2022-12-26, 02:27 local time Magnitude 4.3, Superficial Depth (Less than 30 km), Cienaga – Magdalena, Colombia”, reported the Colombian Geological Service through its social networks.
According to the details provided by the entity, the epicenter of the tremor on the Caribbean Coast was located 35 kilometers from the Banana Zone, Prado Sevilla. Likewise, it was established that it had a latitude of 10.95 and a longitude of 73.88.
Although it occurred at dawn, when most citizens sleep, some reported that the seismic event felt so strong that it woke them up.
It should be remembered that Colombia is one of the 30 countries that are located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, point where several tectonic plates converge. The constant movement and friction of the plates leads to a release of energy. When it is gradual, low intensity earthquakes occur; when it is sudden, large-magnitude earthquakes occur.
Therefore, it is important to be prepared and take into account the following points in case of experiencing a seismic event:
– Depending on the type of construction you are in, you must follow certain recommendations. If it is in an earthquake resistant structure, stay near columns, under a desk or in areas marked as safe, always away from glass or items that could fall. While, if it is an informal building, try to get out immediately and, during your evacuation, watch your surroundings to identify dangers.
– Do not go under the door frames, since it is not a safe place, the frame helps to dissipate the energy of the earthquake, so it can break and collapse.
– If you are at home, and only if possible, open the main door and the roomssince they could get stuck and leave you and your family locked up.
– If you are in a public place such as a theater or cinema, stay in your chair, protect your head with your arms and wait for the earthquake to end, then evacuate.
According to the District Institute for Risk Management and Climate Change (Idiger), the kit must be reviewed at least once a year and, if necessary, updated according to the needs of the household members.
Below is the list of items that should go in the emergency kit:
– First aid kit and reserve of your essential medicines.
– Cash in the bag.
– House and office keys.
– Food and hydration.
– Complete change of clothes (for each member of the family).
– Copy of personal documents.
– Blanket or light blanket. Waterproof layers.
– Garbage bags, adhesive tape, rubber bands, resistant rope and a knife.
– Spare batteries.
– Basic toiletries.
– Plate, cup and spoon.