Creating an alpine slide is one of the most popular ways to decorate and ennoble your summer cottage. Many summer residents in this matter resort to the help of professionals – landscape designers, and some independently take on the realization of their dreams and achieve their goals.
How to arrange an alpine slide in your garden with the least expenditure of effort and money, we will tell in this article.
- Alpine Hill is a miniature man-made mountain slope that can be located under the window of your country house.
- The rock garden is a harmonious unity of stones – both large and small, with plants growing in the mountains.
Alpine slide design rules
To correctly design this element of landscape design with your own hands, you must strictly follow the following rules:
- The key to success is a well-thought-out plan for the future rock gardenprinted on paper. It may seem that it is quite easy to arrange stones beautifully and plant plants in the right places, and you don’t need a plan at all. But this is a big misconception. It is better, and most importantly, much easier to arrange all the elements first on paper than to transfer stones several times from one place to another.
- Pay special attention to the choice of a place for an alpine slide: it requires a lot of sun and does not really like places blown from all sides by the wind. Give preference to space near flower beds or a pond, gazebos or terraces. You can “lean” the rock garden against the wall of the house, while it is not recommended to build it among outbuildings. The alpine hill should be in harmony with the environment and be proportionate to the area of \u200b\u200bthe site, then it will certainly become the pride of your garden.
- The choice of stones is also a serious matter.. The most soil-neutral material is sandstone.
Unlike limestone and granite, it does not alkalize or acidify the soil. You can give the sandstone the desired shape with a chisel, and the weather conditions of our regions will complete this work for you: as a result, you will get a natural smooth relief that resembles a mountainside.
Step-by-step creation of an alpine slide
Stages of construction of the Alpine slide:
- Mark the boundaries of the future rock garden.
- Prepare high-quality drainage so that in the future the stones of the alpine slide do not move and do not spoil the overall structure. For this purpose, crushed stone, fragments of brick, gravel will do. Remove the top fertile layer of soil to a depth of approximately 10-15 centimeters, place drainage on the bottom, tamp well and pour water for even more tamping. Then we fill the drainage with soil and again tamp well.
- Divide the stones you have chosen into large and small ones and proceed with their laying, strictly adhering to a pre-drawn plan. For the first, most important layer, you will need the largest stones: lay them out on a compacted surface and cover them with earth to 2/3 of the height. The gaps between the stones should also be covered with earth. In the same way, we lay out the subsequent tiers, using smaller stones. The average alpine slide usually consists of three to five layers of stones. The most beautiful and unusual specimens should crown your slide;
- Give the rock garden a rest: at least two weeks must pass before planting the plants until all the stones take their final position;
- Choose plants and start planting. The number of plant species is up to you. The main thing is to think about accents and choose a couple of bright colors that will be the highlight of your slide;
- Do not forget about care and maintain the beauty of your creation. Water and feed plants regularly, remove overgrown or dead plants, and then your own mountain slope will please you for a long time.
Photo source: torange.biz