Russian President Vladimir Putin and Governor of the Novgorod Region Andrey Nikitin
A photo: REUTERS
On Wednesday, September 21, the head of state, immediately after his appeal to the Russians was shown on TV, went to the ancient Russian city of Veliky Novgorod.
I decided to find out about the details of this trip from my longtime hero, Governor Nikitin …
– … Andrey Sergeevich, it was an unusual visit of the president … Although he wrote down his address the day before, as we know, nevertheless, he would like to know how Vladimir Vladimirovich is in his mood?
– You know, it seems to me that the leader was in a good mood.
On this day, we talked a lot about education, about the training of engineers, about projects being developed by young guys, specialists from advanced engineering schools. And, judging by my observations, the leader was really interested, because this is the future of our country, our science and technology.
The guys and nuclear reactors of the new generation are designing, and new engines for aircraft. A very good project, thanks here to the Ministry of Education and Science for the fact that such a project has appeared.
– You had a conversation, as always, behind closed doors or the President did not have time for this
– We had a conversation, but almost all of it was with open doors. I spoke very briefly about the results of my gubernatorial five-year plan, about how we are working this year.
– And how?
– In general, not bad, and the economic results of the region are quite good. I spoke about the challenges that we face and about the tasks that we plan to solve in the coming years.
Vladimir Putin during a meeting with leaders of leading engineering schools and their industrial partners
A photo: REUTERS
Of course, I always feel the support of our leader in all such good undertakings. These were completely understandable, open things that I spoke to the people of Novgorod when I addressed them as part of my election program. I also discussed this with the president.
– Did Vladimir Vladimirovich congratulate you on your victory in the elections, or did it somehow not come to that? Or is it a matter of course?
– We had a meeting in January, Vladimir Vladimirovich blessed me to go to the polls, said that he had no doubts – we could win.
– I remember, we then did material with you just on this topic. Tell me, have you been to the Donbass yet?
– In Zaporozhye. This is the city of Energodar, known for the latest alarm reports.
– Have you been there once?
– I was once, but my team works there all the time.
We are helping the district prepare for the winter, repairing schools together. They all opened on September 1st. We help the population in solving social and domestic issues. That is, our task is to do everything possible so that the life of people there is as comfortable and dignified as possible.
And I also reported to the president about this today, about the humanitarian work that our region is doing in the Zaporozhye region.
– Did you mention some figures in your report or so, in general terms, so as not to load?
– There were a lot of figures, I also talked about the fact that the budget in our region has almost doubled in 5 years …
– What about Energodar, Zaporozhye?
– The numbers sounded, but it’s not about the numbers, it’s about something else. It doesn’t matter how much, relatively speaking, we spend, the result is important. And the result, the one that we had to provide by September 1, so that the children go to school, we provided it.
And we also tried to ensure that the children from Zaporizhzhya had a rest in the sanatoriums of the Crimea, and a whole group came to Novgorod, the guys really liked it. We help train personnel for municipal government. Because it is also very important that the people who work there understand how they can resolve certain issues.
And, of course, we are cooperating very closely here with the administration of Zaporozhye, with the leadership of the Zaporozhye region. It is clear that we are doing all this as part of our single team.
– And you did not discuss the topic of his appeal with the president – or is everything clear here?
– Look, there was also a speech by Vladimir Vladimirovich dedicated to the 1160th anniversary of the founding of Russia, and he said this in the Novgorod Kremlin.
– At the very place where Alexander Nevsky used to gather regiments near the walls of St. Sophia, where Alexander II uttered words about the great role of Russia in the history of mankind.
It seems to me very symbolic that on this day in Veliky Novgorod very important words were also heard by Vladimir Vladimirovich about the historical role of our state.
You know, I later talked to Novgorodians who were sitting on the square, listening to the president’s speech. They said, “What an energetic president we have.” Indeed, – confidence, calmness, energy. We all observed this last Wednesday at our holiday, being next to the president.
– Thank you very much, Andrey Sergeevich.
– I’m glad to hear from you.
– Good luck!