More than 20 hours of waiting in the Emergency Department of Juan Ramón Jiménez

(Signature: Sara Vélez Castilla) Last July 13, my father went to emergencies of Juan Ramon Jimenez Hospital at 16:02, being a cancer patient with intense asthenia, increased dyspnea and tachycardia. He was also a patient with a tracheotomy, pulmonary metastasis and a malignant pleural effusion.

Until 7:00 p.m., 3 hours later, despite the seriousness, he was not seen by the emergency doctor, who carried out the pertinent assessments, and after assessing his condition, he referred us to the area with observation chairs, waiting the results of laboratory tests and radiographs.

Around 10:00 p.m., 6 hours later, we still did not receive any information, and after asking and insisting on numerous occasions, around 12:00 a.m., the emergency doctor tells us that due to the seriousness, he is going to proceed with his admission. and that they are also going to perform an emergency evacuation thoracocentesis, a procedure that is carried out around 01:00 in the morning.

At 02:56, the discharge from the emergency room and the referral to the oncology ward are recorded, but this only occurs in the documentation that the emergency service processes, since at no time are we transferred to the ward. Right now, a severely immunocompromised patient has been waiting on a couch for 11 hours. The arguments by those responsible are the lack of available beds.

It was not until 12:30 on 07/14 that we managed to get him a bed, after 20 and a half hours waiting in a chair, which represents inhumane treatment of a severely immunosuppressed patient, who cannot be in such conditions, with a serious worsening of his illness, with significant dyspnea and tachycardia, a patient crying because of the situation he was in.

Finally, they give him a bed at 12:30 p.m. on 2:07 p.m. because after talking unsuccessfully with all the people responsible and involved, in desperation I go personally to talk to the director of the hospital. What does this mean? THAT IF THERE WERE BEDS AVAILABLE, THERE WAS A SOLUTION.

My father was not given a room on the oncology floor, and therefore he was not admitted until 8:00 p.m. on the afternoon of 2:07 p.m., which would have meant 28 hours of waiting in a chair.

In addition, I would like to denounce and make public the lack of means available for patients with tracheotomy, since they had to put oxygen on them, and in a hospital like Juan Ramón Jiménez they did not have valves adapted for this type of patient, so they had to put a valve on them. normal, being much less effective and much more annoying.

My father has unfortunately passed away, but I want to denounce this situation so that the responsible people assume responsibilities and other patients do not have to go through the same situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button